Back to School In a Flash: Decor and More

It's our 3rd week of the...


and it's probably one of everyone's FAVORITE topics:


I'm sharing just a few snap shots from my room this year. We don't start with students until September 8th, but the next 3 weeks are filled to the brim with so many other things that room set-up was not in the picture. Luckily, July and early August weren't that busy so I prioritized to get in there and get it done so I could focus on other things.

And I'm one of "those" people.

I really do think that if my classroom is a place I want to be, I am a much happier teacher. So I do put energy into it. Do you have to go crazy nuts and have it look like it's in a magazine to be a good teacher- nope! But I go along the lines of: Do what you think will bring you joy so that you may pass it on to those you work with. Not everyone may appreciate it, but it brings me joy right now to do it.

This is my 4th year in this classroom and I officially switched it up. The last 3 years, I went with the color combo of teal and yellow and I loved it. It was the perfect combo of calm and energizing. But then I started to throw in other colors and it became just too busy. I like organized and clean. So I changed things up big time... meaning... I switched the yellow out, but kept the teal.

I'm addicted to teal.

I just can't get enough.

So it stays and greens and blues join in.

I'm obsessive over a few things when it comes to classroom set up and decor: Colors, Cleanliness, and Organization/Function. I'm sharing a few examples of these obsessions in my room for this year.

Shall we begin?

(1) Bulletin Board Headers


I like to label everything... including bulletin boards. Mainly because it helps ME keep things organized and gives everything a place. This also makes it easier for students to "find" what they are looking for. I don't think they'll miss these huge letters over the bulletin boards up front!

I've also made some "make-shift" bulletin boards... er... chart holders. It'll allow me to hang even more charts in our room and the foldable curtain can still be opened and closed and my charts won't be ripped! I've learned to live with the ugly color. Or at least I keep telling myself that. 


(2) Homework Pockets


I saw the original idea to use these pockets for homework from the amazing Kristen at Ladybug's Teacher Files. I've used the pocket concept now for 2 years and I really like them. I can quickly glance while students are coming in during the morning and remind them to turn in homework if I notice they've forgotten. Also, I have a classroom job where one student goes around and takes the homework out of the pockets for me. And it's already in alphabetical order because of my number system. Makes it even easier to check it in... now I just need to check it in myself each day and not let a pile begin to grow. 


The pockets wrap around my room. Some of them are located on the lower cupboards as you can see above. Typically, this might be wasted space, but now it's functional, while not taking up "prime real estate."

(3)  Cohesive Colors

I take my color themes serious. Often times, too serious for many people. I can't help it. It's a disease. But I do think a cohesive color theme makes things look more organized.

Here's our door and board right when you enter the room. The door isn't done yet, but the bulk of it is. I have little seeds that I'm going to put on it with students' names.  I hope my seeds are, "Ready to Blossom and be Awesome!"


Our library even has some of the colors through the use of rugs and bulletin boards. The rugs add some color, but they can also be moved around the classroom during reading time along with our pillows and bean bag (that are stationed under our easel). 


I made the floating shelves out of foam board, duct tape, string, and command hooks. Want to make your own? Visit this post and I break it down. I've had them up now for 2 years and they haven't fallen! I'm such an engineer. 


Stop and go look at it now. You'll know what I'm talking about.

Isn't hers gorgeous?? Don't you just want to browse all the books and lay on that comfy carpet??

My board is nowhere as beautiful as hers, but I'm excited about the pop of color and I tied in some seed clip art (you can't really see it). I still need to add a little quote. The other blank board will be where we come up with our library expectations, book shopping schedule, etc. 


The pockets I made for our spelling center tie the color theme in a place that is hard to cover up... the side of a filing cabinet. These pockets will hold commonly misspelled words for each student. My husband and awesome in-laws also spray painted some magnetic letters to match (they had the space... I didn't want to do it in our apartment garage (2 weeks til' we close on our house!). Vowels are green and constants are navy- to help students notice patterns. 

So those are just a few parts to our classroom this year. I can't wait to get the year started! My group last year was such a group of sweethearts... I'm sad they won't be back in this room with me. But I hope my next group is just as great in their own way.

Go take a peek into the rooms of other teachers by clicking the link below! And don't forget to link up yourself! I'd love to see your space!






Signature

7 comments

  1. LOVE everything about your classroom! Your bulletin board headers are amazing! Did you just print in color and cut out?

    Adrienne
    Having Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with your labels! How do you do it? With a cameo? I wanted to shake up my color theme this year too- I had red, yellow and black but took out the yellow to add in teal. I use homework pockets too! BUT mine don't match the color scheme, where did you get those awesome clear ones!!!! I'd love to hear more about how you do your spelling centers- do you have a blog post about that?
    So many questions and comments, I just love this post!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your color combo. I would I have never thought to bring in the navy with the other blues, but it really looks good. I also like how everything is labeled and has a spot - organization helps keep me sane too. Thanks for sharing!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your room. I share this with my a colleague of mine that plans to do your same colors. They are our school colors. Your room is so bright and inviting! How do you get your letters so big and cut so beautifully?
    Open the Magic!,
    Courtney
    Ramona Recommends

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your classroom and I still want to live in there. Where oh where did you get the clear pockets? I ended up buying the colored pockets again this year, but I'd love to find some clear ones! Stealing ideas from you left and right! xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even know where to start.....I guess I need to pick my jaw off the floor and wipe up the drool. WOW! I have been loving your colors all summer, but seeing it all put together makes it even more impressive. I adore the huge letters you used to label your bulletin boards. The homework pocket idea is brilliant. And I want to know more about the graffiti wall!!! Well done! Thanks for linking up.
    Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. That flower bulletin board in your libary area is beautiful!! Actually your whole room is beautiful!! LOVE!!

    Melissa
    Wild About Fifth

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top