Plicker- Formative Assessment with a Scan of your Smartphone

I don't know about you, but our school/district is a little behind with getting technology in the hands of our students. I have mixed feelings about it. For example, we do have SMARTboards. And today, my bulb decided to die. And they didn't have anymore in stock. So now I have to wait for who knows how long. Looks like I'm going back into the old days of chart paper and overhead projectors until I can get it fixed. Is it weird I'm kinda excited about it? I have to say, I feel a little liberated!

However, technology can be crazy cool too. There are so many fun, educational apps out there that I don't really get to use because we don't have any tablets in our school for students to interact with. So when The Brown Bag Teacher posted on her Facebook about another blogger, Katie over at Simply Creative in Kentucky, and an app that only requires a smartphone (hey- I have one of those now!), I had to check it out!

I could do a super elaborate post, but honestly, Katie did such a fantastic job with pictures and explanations, so you need to go over and read her post on how this app can give you instant feedback on your students' progress. Just look at this data I got today as we learned how to use this tool while also having some "back to school" fun! Here is a very simply run down on the process.

1) Create your questions!

2) Post your questions and have your students select their answer with their cards and begin scanning! (again, visit Katie's blog for what I'm talking about).

 Or... switch views for a graph that is created "live!"
3) Review your data!


I'm excited to begin to include this throughout our day and collect data on my students' understanding of a variety of things! My team and I are already brainstorming some ideas.

Oh- I almost forgot! I selected a winner of my Making Change pack! Find out if you are the lucky one here!



Signature

5 comments

  1. Thanks for such a detailed review. I'm off to set up my class right now! This seems like a great tool!

    Brandi
    Swinging for Success

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've thought about getting this one after seeing it on Pinterest, but recently went with QuickKey. It gives the students bubble sheets (which I figure helps them learn to fill in bubbles for our end of year standardized test) and you scan them with the app on your phone/ipad and it grades it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like it would be so fun! I bet the students love it, too! Thanks for introducing me to Plickers- I had no idea this existed! (Also, I had to laugh when you said that you felt liberated that you won't be able to use your SMARTboard for a few days! I can totally relate!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Our school started using RazKids for reading and it has some great graphs, but love all of this data! It is always great to see where students are, and what they need. Thanks so much for sharing and we are your newest follower!

    Lauren
    Dynamicduo1and2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top