Technically.... I'm not on summer vaca just yet. Our last day with students was Friday. I had the sweetest little girl ask to give an impromptu speech to the class which made even my most difficult behavior student break out in tears and initiated a 'class hug.' They really pulled together as a class and it was a beautiful sight.
However, we have our last staff day today, so I need to get to school to finish report cards (mine are done, but I have to stuff them into envelopes and print off MAP scores) and pack-up/check out of my room for the year. Then in the evening, we have our staff boat trip! I'll for sure be posting some fun photos on instagram!
The last few days have been a whirl wind: last day with students, 2 bridal showers on Saturday, 1 on Sunday. I couldn't make it to both on Saturday, but I tried to! I then helped out with the one on Sunday by making the centerpieces and bringing things for mimosas. I was up until 11 pm the night before getting these little babies ready, but they were very well received by all. Not to mention, they were easy to make and besides the actual flowers- they were pretty inexpensive to make too! There are a ton of pictures in this post for both of my made its... sorry in advance. :)
Scrapbook paper (for vase to sit on- I found some glitter paper that matched my ribbon perfectly- Michales)
Ribbon (I managed to make 5 vases plus little hanging tags for my 2nd MMI with one spool- Michaels)
Clear, large gems (left over from another project- Jo-Ann)
Little Wooden Letters (these were like 33 cents a piece; I used "A's" for the bride-to-be's first name- Michaels)
Vases (Dollar Tree)
6 Lemons (to fill all 4 vases)
ZOTS (I had left overs from my wedding last year; both the 3D large ones and the flat, small ones. I used both for this project- Jo-Ann)
Optional (for the wooden letters):
Fine Glitter in the color of our choice
To add a little extra sparkle, I wanted to add glitter to the wooden letters. I used pink on a trial and really liked it, but then when I got the flowers, it clashed, so I went with a white. You can't really see it in the pictures, but I liked the littler shimmer it added.
Just coat the letter with glue from a glue stick. You could use Modge Podge, but I left mine at school and this worked just fine. I sprinkled glitter onto the paper towel and flipped the wooden letter upside down in it to really get it covered.
I let them dry on a separate paper towel.
I then had my 3D ZOTs and stuck one on the back of each letter and attached it to the ribbon that I cut and tied around the vase. These are VERY sticky and can be a little tricky to get off the paper and onto your object... you've been warned.
Here are the 4 vases with the clear gems, flowers cut, ribbon, and letter attached. I would suggest putting the gems in first, then the flowers, then the lemons. I also didn't trim off a whole lot of the extra leaves and I left the lemons out overnight for a reason. Read for further explanation for both.
I bought a bag of lemons for like $3.00 and didn't need all of them. I used about 6 or 7 (I lost count). I had a large vase filled with water where I placed the sliced lemons in over night. I did this for a few reasons:
1) I didn't want to cut them in the morning.
2) I didn't want to add them to the vases for overnight. Even though I did a trial and it worked just fine, I didn't want to take any chances.
3) Soaking them in water made them easier to sink the next morning into the bottom of the vases.
I tried to remove seeds so they weren't floating in the vases, but you don't need to do this step. It's just my nit-pickiness coming out. The organic lemons I used in my trial had fewer seeds than these- just an FYI.
|(This is the sweetest cutting board- it lays flat, but then you squeeze the handle and it folds up on the sides to make for easy "dumping" into a garbage. Brilliant.)|
I let them soak over night in the large vase and placed them in the vases the next morning.
Here's some pictures of the finished product!
Some tips for placing the lemons:
1) Do them as the last step by placing them along the side of the vase 1 at a time. I used a small spatula to help guide them towards the bottom and the place I wanted them to go.
2) I found, the more "greenery" in the bottom of the vase the better. Meaning, don't trim off all the leaves towards the end of the stem. It helps keep the lemon slices from floating to the top. The gems help also to keep them still.
Depending on how many stems/flowers you have will play a role in how many slices you can fit in.
I then used a small cooler to help transport them all... it worked real slick!
This gift is called: "Quench your Thirst, through a Year of Firsts." I got a bottle of wine for a few major "firsts" they'll have as husband and wife. I found some of these poems on Pinterest to go with each wine/event and altered some to make them work for my bride. Her wedding colors are yellow and gray so I found this bin at Michaels and it was over 50% off!
(I gave a pretty generic Sparkling Cider for this tag)
(I gave a bottle of champagne from the Barefoot line for this tag, but you can choose anything!)
(I gave a red wine called, House Wine for this tag)
(I gave a white wine called, Clean Slate for this tag)
(I gave a white wine called, Simply Naked: Pinot Grigio for this tag. They have many flavors, but I think this one is the best.)
Some other "firsts" you could do include first New Year's, Valentines, Birthday- any holiday really.
I then used my smaller ZOTS to attach the tags onto a ribbon that I just wrapped around the neck of the bottle (which I also secured with a ZOT).
Woof. That was a long one. I'm hoping to be back next week with a much shorter and more "school based" made it! Check out the others at Tara's blog!