Monday Made It: Teacher Tool Box Part 2 & Wedding Project

I actually made something on a Monday. This is a rare occurrence, as I usually just plan on doing something, but never get around to it. I felt it necessary to link up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics to celebrate this momentous occasion (dramatic, huh?).

Not only did I finish the ever popular Teacher Tool Box I started last week, but I even did a little last minute wedding project!

First, my teacher tool box:


 I have no idea who had the original idea/post on this- I've seen so so many, but obviously I was not the genius behind it. I made my own labels to go with my color scheme (using images from the web- details in the previous post) and what materials I needed for my box. I also made completely blank labels so that you can put your own color scheme/font/materials. To check either of these out, see my previous post.

I spray painted it black (my first official spray paint job- let's just say- it'll do), cut up my labels and stuck them in there. I still have to tape them in, but it'll work for now until I get back to school.

 Here's a close up of some of the labels. The lighter yellow is a bit brighter than my camera shows; the blue a bit more subtle as well in real life.



I'm proud of my little box and am excited for it to help replace my huge desk!

For my 2nd project, it came to me due to a meeting we had with our awesome DJ for our wedding yesterday (which is less than 3 weeks away now!). He convinced us to do a few things we weren't going to with his clever ideas, but that meant I had to come up with a few things. One thing was a garter. I've seen the really pretty ones on Etsty, but given my time limit, they would have cost a lot just for shipping to ensure they would be here on time and I know I would be freaking out waiting for them, so instead, I made them.

I don't sew. I have never done it before. I thought this little project would be simple enough... and it was! Now- are they perfect? No! But I don't care. Only a handful of people will see it. Here is the set I made today:
One is for me to keep, the other is for us to toss. I got everything at Jo Ann Fabrics. I bought a couple yards of stretchy lace ribbon (used for trim usually), some small embellishments found with the ribbons, a couple jewels from the jewel aisle, some fabric-tac glue, and needle and white thread.

I measured the two spots I was going to wear it by just wrapping the lace around my thigh and cut the lace. I glued the two ends together (pinching it like a little fin), secured it with a little thread, turned it outside-in, and the band was done!
For this one, I had to sew the jewels onto the band. I again just went back and forth, over and under the little loops on the jewels (people who actually know how to sew are probably slapping their forehead about my make-shift sewing skills). When I wear it, the jewels are in a nice straight line. I then added a little blue flower with the fabric-tac for my 'something blue.' I will be keeping this one.
This one, all I did was use the fabric-tac and glued on 5 different embellishments. I did a little glue right on the flower, then pressed it on. Then I flipped it over and did a little more glue on the back of each flower.
One more close up look of the two. I am happy with how they turned out. I bought way too much ribbon though. I would say that both garters cost me about $10-$12 total, including buying the glue.

The blog will be a bit abandoned I feel over the next couple weeks with the wedding fast approaching, but I could be wrong...

I hope you are having as beautiful weather as we have here today! Until next time!
8


Signature
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top